Herd frozen out by Dinos

Manitoba’s offence sputters against Calgary

Bisons midfielder Gabrielle Clark moves the ball during Manitoba's 1-0 loss to Calgary this weekend

After picking up the win Saturday, the U of M Bisons women’s soccer team was back in action against the University of Calgary Dinos Sunday, dropping a 1-0 decision.

The temperature was frigid and the wind worse, but both teams were red hot, battling back and forth.

Maddison Fritze got Calgary out ahead in the seventh minute. Kayla Kruetzer sent the ball down field, Fritze beat out a Bisons defender and put one by Madison Wilford for the 1-0 Dinos lead.

“I think we had a rough start, you know,” Bisons head coach Vanessa Martinez Lagunas said postgame.

“But I think after that the girls settled a little bit and definitely I loved the second half, they had a fantastic second half and they put a lot of pressure in there and we almost got a goal. We were so close.”

Calgary had firm control of the game for the rest of the half, sending five shots on goal and keeping the ball in the Bisons end. The herd was only able to get two shots on goal but on the defensive side was able to move the ball out of the penalty area, forcing four corners in the first half.

The Dinos kept the pressure on in the second, peppering the Manitoba goal with four shots, but Wilford stood tall to keep her club in the game.

“Amazing,” Martinez Lagunas said of her keeper. “She was just unbelievable. She saved a lot of difficult balls for us and her distribution was clutch.”

The keeper had a chance to tie things up late on a free kick. Wilford shot from just beyond the centre line, but Calgary goalkeeper Lauren Houghton  kept it out to secure her club the win.

With the loss, Manitoba drops to 2-2-2 on the season, but stays fourth in the Canada West Prairie division.

The Bisons will hit the pitch again next week on the road when the club takes on the Mount Royal University Cougars and University of Alberta Golden Bears. Game one is Sept. 29 at 12 p.m. MDT in Edmonton. Game two follows the next day in Calgary at 1 p.m. MDT.