Bison briefs

Football, golf and women’s soccer

Bisons football

The Bisons football team was on the road again this past weekend, this time stopping in Vancouver to take on the University of British Columbia (UBC) Thunderbirds at Thunderbird Stadium.

On the second snap of the game, the Thunderbirds scored a touchdown and would continue to dominate the first quarter. However, in the second quarter, the Bisons started to mount a comeback.

Down 20 to UBC, the herd began to turn the tide when starting quarterback Sawyer Thiessen targeted receivers AK Gassama, Nathan Udoh and Brendt Adams, each recording huge first downs. With a 29-yard field goal from kicker Vinny De Rosa, the herd cut into the Thunderbirds lead.

The Thunderbirds would score their third touchdown of the game on the first snap after the Bisons field goal, but the herd would push back once more, even after starting the drive on its own 7-yard line. With an initial carry by running back Breydon Stubbs and a Gassama reaching catch, Stubbs and fellow running back Vaughan Lloyd rumbled the ball down the field. After receiver Tyson Orregaard had a huge first-down catch, Adams scored a massive 38-yard touchdown for the herd.

Unfortunately, this would be the Bisons last offence of the night, being beaten 22-0 in the second half of the game. Despite the 56-10 loss, Bison quarterback Jordan Hanslip got several snaps in the game — including some crucial short yardage plays that extended the Bisons drives. The defence recorded a fumble recovery, courtesy of linebacker Nic Pereira, and two sacks on the day, one each from defensive tackle Collin Kornelson and defensive lineman Kaleb Mackie-McLeod.

The herd will be back home this weekend, hosting the University of Regina Rams on Saturday for a matinee game at IG Field.


Bisons golf

The Bisons golf team played two tournaments this last week. The team’s first outing was the par 72 Battle at the Bear tournament from Sept. 11 to 12, hosted by the University of British Columbia Okanagan Heat at the Okanagan Golf Club in Kelowna, B.C.

Cole Peters finished at the top of the herd with +10. Derek Benson and Jordon McDonald tied with +16 both shooting 81 and 79, but on opposing days. And Brent Ingram and Trent Robertson tied with +18, both shooting 83 on day one and 79 on day two. The team finished seventh overall, shooting a combined +58.

The herd’s second tournament of the week was the Saint John’s University Fall Invitational from Sept. 16 to 17, hosted by the Saint John’s University Johnnies in Minnesota. The herd played on two different courses over the weekend, starting on the par 71 St. Cloud Country Club course on Saturday, before taking on the par 72 Blackberry Ridge Golf Club course on Sunday.

Rookie Jose Mekish-Lacquette registered the best score for the Bisons with +13, shooting an impressive 78 on both courses. Teammate Peters finished with +15, shooting 78 and 80 over the two days, while fellow veteran Robertson finished +18, shooting 79 and 82. Rookie Chase Janas finished the tournament with +22, shooting an impressive seven strokes less on the second day and teammate Lachlan Allerton clocked in at +25, shooting 82 and 86.

Both rookie Jack Rudick and veteran Benson played as individuals, shooting +16 and +25, respectively. Rudick had a fantastic first day, shooting just three over par on the St. Cloud course, while Benson had a better second day on the Blackberry Ridge course.

The team finished 10th overall in the 13-team tournament and will be back on the links again this weekend for the Twin Cities Classic in Minnesota.


Bisons women’s soccer

The Bisons women’s soccer team opened its homestand on Friday night against the University of Northern British Columbia (UNBC) Timberwolves at the West Turf Field.

The herd was relentless in the first half, opening the scoring with forward Janelle Chomini’s goal off a beautiful feed from midfielder Taryn Cabak in the 37th minute. The sustained pressure on the Timberwolves led to a UNBC own goal as Timberwolves defender Anna deWynter tried to head a dangerous Bison kick away from her net, but the bounce gave the Bisons a 2-0 lead in added time before the half.

The Bisons continued their attack in the second half and improved to 3-0 courtesy of Chomini’s second goal of the night, straight off Timberwolves goalkeeper Brityn Hinsche from a free kick taken by Bison captain Jessica Tsai in the 86th minute. With the win, Bisons goalkeeper Karina Bagi records her first shutout of the season.

The herd’s second game of the weekend was on Saturday night at IG Field, as the Bisons played host to the University of British Columbia (UBC) Thunderbirds. While the Bisons spent the previous game on the Timberwolves side of the field, the Thunderbirds spent this game on the Bisons side of the field.

The defensive effort by the herd saw Bagi capture the single-game Bisons women’s soccer program record with her 17 saves. The herd held off the Thunderbirds until the 59th minute, conceding two goals by the end of the night to UBC.

The Bisons will be on the road this next weekend as they face the University of Victoria Vikes on Friday and the Mount Royal University Cougars on Sunday.