Cougars pounce on Bisons hockey over weekend

Both teams swept, men’s team shut out

The University of Manitoba women’s hockey team started this past weekend’s series against the Mount Royal University Cougars last Friday on home ice with an evenly matched first period. The Cougars scored the first goal of the game just six minutes in by bringing the puck over the line and down the middle, weaving through the Bison defence.

The U of M quickly hit back at Mount Royal while the Cougars were the power play. Penalty-killer Kylie Lesuk knelt to block a Cougar point shot, creating an opportunity for Dana Goertzen to score the first goal of the game for the herd.

The first period ended in a 1-1 tie, but the second period was a different story for the herd, who really struggled to get going in the frame.

Just 15 seconds after the Zamboni cleared the ice, the puck was slapped into the Bisons’ net, breaking the tie.

The Cougars carried this momentum forward, pulling away from the Bisons and taking a 4-1 lead into the second intermission. The U of M attempted to rally in the third frame but fell short of catching up to Mount Royal.

Despite coming out strong in the third and outshooting the Cougars 12-8, Manitoba only managed to net one more goal — this time from Camryn Gillis — and Mount Royal prevailed, taking game one 5-2.

The first period of Saturday’s game started off with the Cougars coming out strong once again, scoring under three minutes into the first.

The Cougars scored again on a power play in the first while the herd struggled to put themselves on the board, taking a 2-0 lead over the U of M.

The second period had little action, with neither team scoring despite both trading power plays.

Manitoba managed to make it onto the board in the third frame, with Juila Bird scoring the first point for the herd.

However, the Bisons could not complete the comeback and the Cougars took Saturday’s game 2-1 to cap off the weekend sweep.

Meanwhile, the Bisons men’s road game against Mount Royal last Friday started off rough and never got better. Mount Royal was on their A-game right off the bat, scoring three times in the first. The second period only got worse for the U of M, who laboured and looked tired as the Cougars continued to pick up speed.

The Cougars went on to score four more times in the second, taking a 7-0 lead into the second intermission. Mount Royal added two more goals in the third, the herd never making it on the board with a 9-0 loss.

The Bisons went into Saturday’s game looking for redemption after Friday’s brutal loss.

The first period was less devasting in comparison, the herd only letting in one goal in the first. However, Mount Royal continued to outscore Manitoba, weaving through the Bisons’ defensive line and netting a second goal in the second frame.

The Cougars finished the third period scoring one more time, winning 3-0  and completing a weekend series shutout against the Bisons.


The women’s team is on the road next weekend taking on  University of Calgary Dinos, while the men’s team hosts Calgary Jan. 19 and 20.